Can you stop your ex from exposing your child to specific people?

Jul 18, 2019 | Family Law

Family laws are in place to help protect mothers, fathers, their children and others who have a right to be in their lives. Children are at the greatest risk of being taken advantage of.

As a parent who worries about your child’s safety when they’re with others in your family, it’s important that you get to have a say. Your ex-spouse may believe certain family members are fine to be around, while you may believe that they’re harmful or a bad influence.

What can you do?

Remember that the courts will help you do what you have to do to protect your children. Here’s an example. If you believe that your ex-spouse’s mother or father is a bad example for your children due to drinking or drug use, then you can ask the court to help you stop your ex-spouse from allowing your children to see them completely or without appropriate supervision.

It’s usually in a child’s best interests to maintain the same kinds of relationships they had prior to a divorce — particularly when it comes to family members like grandparents, aunts and uncles and cousins. However, when there are dangerous or negligent relationships, then it’s best if you can take steps to put a halt to them seeing those individuals.

If you and your co-parent can’t agree on which people your children can and cannot be around in your family or friend circles, then you may need to work out a parenting plan that addresses your concerns. The plan can help protect your children from being around people who could be harmful influences in their lives.

Need a Lawyer? We can Help.

Reach us by phone at (509) 492-3032, or toll free at (888) 339-5782.

Contact Us

Ready to Discuss Your Case With a Lawyer?

Our office is conveniently located next to the Red Lion in Pasco.

Kuffel, Hultgrenn, Klashke, Shea & Ellerd, LLPFind Us

1915 Sun Willows Blvd. Ste. A
Pasco, WA 99301

8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Weekends & Holidays
Fill out my online form.